It’s that time again for the Secret Recipe Club. This month I was introduced to Shari from My Judy the Foodie. Her blog is basically a chronicle of how she is finding her way through the kitchen and through a collection of her mother’s recipes. Her mother, Judy, was a fabulous cook and I’ve really enjoyed reading through her blog this past month. That’s the part I love about the Secret Recipe Club, I am introduced to many blogs that I may have never come across.
I’m always a fan of comfort food and that’s exactly what this meal is. First of all, I hate running around trying to get dinner and have everything ready at the same time. You still have to prepare and make this meal, but it all goes in one pot and then you can go about your business for the rest of the day. As soon as dinner time rolls around, all you have to do is set the table and enjoy the meal… totally comforting in my book! Second, the slow roasting of the meat makes this dish incredibly tender and it’s layered over noodles – one of my favorite carbs.
I made a few small changes to the recipe. First of all, I browned the meat and sauted the vegetables in a cast iron skillet before adding them to the crock pot. I wanted to develop a nice rich flavor, but you can certainly skip this part. I also didn’t have any green onions on hand, so I substited a sweet onion. I like a lot of pepper, so I bumped that up a notch and left out the tomato paste. Instead of adding the wine in the last hour of cooking, I used it in the beginning to deglaze the pan and I wanted it to be able to cook with the meat for a long time.
Slow Cooker Beef Tips
4-pounds sirloin tips
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
8-ounces mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup dry red wine
1 1/2 cups beef broth, plus 1/4 cup broth, seperated
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons of flour
1-pound yolk-free egg noodles
- Salt and pepper the beef cubes and then toss them in the flour to coat thoroughly.
- Using an iron skillet that’s on high heat and coated with olive oil, brown the meat for a couple minutes on two sides until nicely browned. Set in crockpot.
- Using the same iron skillet, add the onions and mushrooms and saute for a few minutes until they are soft. Add the wine, and work up the brown bits in the bottom of the skillet. Add everything to the crock pot.
- Next, pour 1 1/2 cups broth over the beef and vegetables, and add the worcestershire sauce.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours.
- One hour before serving, turn to the high setting. Whisk together 1/4 cup beef broth and 4 tablespoons flour to make a smooth paste; stir into crock-pot, mixing well.
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Pour beef mixture over top noodles and serve immediately.
Recipe is adapted from My Judy the Foodie.
Be sure to check out more of the recipes below!